There's nothing quite like the sensation of soft, cozy carpets under your feet or the warm and inviting ambiance they project into a home. But sometimes, shopping for new carpets can feel overwhelming. If you are interested in upgrading your home with carpet but need some help understanding your options, Flooring America is here to help! We will break down each type of carpet material, explain the unique advantages of carpet, and discuss how to select your ideal carpet material for any lifestyle. From stain-resistant nylon carpet piles to rugged and beautiful wool, we've got the inside scoop on everything you need to know about carpet material!
What is Carpet Made of?
When it comes to carpet materials, manufacturing has greatly improved to offer customers both synthetic carpet fibers and natural carpet fibers with advanced performance. High-quality carpets can bring long-lasting comfort to even the most active households. Carpet fibers can be made of four different types of materials—woven nylon, polyester, olefin, or wool.
Each Type of Carpet Material Explained
The first step in choosing a carpet is picking the material used for the carpet fibers. Each type has its own advantages and distinct look and feel. Learn about the four types of carpet fibers:
- Nylon Carpet: The most stain-resistant carpet fiber, nylon carpet is ideal for homes with pets and children. Its durable qualities perform well in heavy-traffic areas, such as hallways and stairs.
- Polyester Carpet: If you desire a luxurious look and feel, polyester brings an upgrade in style for rooms that see a normal amount of traffic, such as living rooms and bedrooms.
- Olefin Carpet: Built tough for heavy wear, olefin boasts great stain and moisture resistance, and is recommended for commercial use or to finish basements.
- Wool Carpet: One of the most widely used natural carpet materials, wool has soil-resistant qualities and offers incredible longevity. Make note that wool is favored for its naturally occurring strength and beauty!
Carpet Styles & Textures for Your Home
Not only does carpet come in a variety of materials, but it's also is composed of various pile heights, patterns, and textures to deliver optimal performance and beautiful designs.
Depending on the room and your lifestyle, you can choose from the following carpet styles:
- Loop pile carpet: In this luxurious and durable carpet style, carpet fibers are looped at either a single pile height or multiple pile heights for a durable texture. Berber carpet is the most common type of loop pile carpet known for its formal appeal and success in high-traffic areas.
- Cut pile carpet: Cut pile carpet styles bring the softest feel and relaxed texture with cut fibers. Customers choose durability and softness by the degree of twist. For example, Saxony-style carpet is more formal with increased durability due to its twisted cut pile carpet fibers. Adversely, Frieze carpet offers a more plush, soft feel, and casual look with less twisted cut pile fibers.
- Cut-loop pile carpet: Combining both loop pile and cut pile textures, cut-loop carpet offers a mix of strength and softness. Cut-loop carpets are perfect for those looking to make a style statement with gorgeous patterned carpets.
How to Choose the Perfect Carpet Material for Your Home
In order to select the perfect carpet, you'll want to consider the function of each room, and how you live in it. For example, an ideal kids' bedroom offers a comfortable, calming vibe with soft textured carpets whose material can also withstand accidents and spills. If that's the case, consider kid-proof nylon carpets in a plush Frieze style. On the other hand, your entrance hallway is bound for heavy traffic, with muddy boots passing through daily. You can still obtain a formal look with durable wool in a woven loop style, such as Berber, for a tough, soil-hiding carpet that lasts. When choosing your ideal carpet, keep the following in mind to ensure long-lasting, quality carpet that you'll love:
- Design preferences
- Performance needs
- Desired texture
What Are the Benefits of Carpet?
With its many advantages, carpet is one of the most popular flooring materials across the United States. That's why Flooring America is committed to bringing you industry-leading carpet flooring brands at excellent prices. Discover all the benefits of choosing carpet for any room in your home:
- Carpet comes in various styles, patterns, and colors to match any interior design. Whether you want a moody, luxurious look or an airy, soft look, there are hundreds of carpet options to find your perfect design fit!
- Due to its cushioned surface, carpet improves insulation within your home, absorbing sound and retaining warmth. If you need peaceful bedrooms and a quiet home office or want to spend less on heating bills in the chillier months, carpet is the perfect choice.
- Carpets' non-slip surface is ideal for safety purposes—especially if you've got kids, pets, or elderly family members.
- Not only is carpet one of the most affordable flooring products, but most are treated with static, stain, soil, and water-resistant properties to handle daily mishaps and heavy wear over time.
- With a regular care routine, carpet is incredibly easy to clean and maintain.
How to Care for Each Carpet Fiber Type
Gone are the days of having to replace old worn-out carpets after a handful of years. With a simple maintenance routine, your carpet fibers will keep fresh for decades. No matter your carpet material, learn about proper carpet care with tips from our experts:
- Vacuum your carpets regularly (once a week) to remove daily dirt and debris buildup.
- Clean up any spills or accidents with a damp cloth and manufacturer-recommended floor cleaner for your specific type of carpet. Always refer to your warranty guide or ask your local flooring professionals before using any harsh chemicals to clean your carpet.
- We recommend a yearly carpet fiber refresh with a professional carpet cleaning. This lifts heavier stains for a renewed look and feel.
Find Your Ideal Carpet Material at Your Local Flooring America Store
If you need help choosing the best carpet for your home, your local Flooring America experts are here for all your flooring needs. Start the journey towards the cozy home of your dreams with new carpet flooring today!